MANAGE YOUR WEIGHT
If you want to lose weight, eat better or move more, now’s the perfect time to turn things around! Extra weight puts pressure on our bodies, making it harder for us to fight against diseases. If you’re overweight, small changes every day can help you to lose weight and feel healthier. Check your body mass index (BMI) to find out if you’re a healthy weight.
There is also plenty of support available to help:
12-week weight management programme with MoreLife
Camden residents can self-refer to access a free 12-week programme with MoreLife. Please note that you must meet the below eligibility criteria to qualify for this free membership.
MoreLife is passionate about supporting individuals to lead healthier lives. They will help you to set your own goals, and make small and achievable changes, to manage your weight. You will have access to weekly, group-based weight management sessions at a local community venue or online via zoom, plus additional support in between group meetings.
To self-refer call 0333 222 1333 if you are a Camden resident and/or registered with an Camden GP
Am I eligible for MoreLife support?
To qualify for support, you must:
- Be aged 18 years old or over.
- Be a Camden resident or registered with a GP in Camden.
- Not be pregnant.
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 and above. The BMI criteria is lower for:
- Individuals from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic Group: BMI of 27.5 and above.
- Individuals with a long-term condition: BMI of 25 and above (or 23 and above for individuals who are also from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic Group).
- Not have had bariatric surgery in the last 2 years.
- Not be diagnosed with severe/moderate frailty as recorded on a frailty register
Please note that individuals can only access this 12-week offer on a one-time basis.
Shape Up- free men's weight management course with Arsenal in the Community
Islington residents can join Shape up, a free 12-week programme to support men who are overweight or obese to improve their nutrition, increase their physical activity, and reach a healthier weight through food education and enjoyable exercise.
When will the Shape Up sessions take place?
The Islington Shape Up sessions begin on 9 January and will take place at The Arsenal Hub on Mondays from 6pm to 7.30pm.
To self-refer email or call Rhys Ratcliffe:
Am I eligible for Shape Up?
To qualify for free support, you must:
- Be Camden/Islington residents or registered with a Camden/Islington NHS GP
- Be a man aged 18 to 65
- Have a BMI of 27.5 or above
- Have expressed a willingness or motivation to change.
Online support and handy apps
The NHS Better Health campaign offers free evidence-based support and guidance to help you work towards a healthier weight. The campaign has a variety of free and NHS endorsed apps, including:
- Weight Loss Plan app which will help you to start healthier eating habits, be more active, and start losing weight.
- BMI calculator to check your body mass index (BMI) and find out if you’re a healthy weight.
- Easy Meals app to help you with delicious and easy meal ideas.
- Couch to 5K app which is a running programme for absolute beginners.
- Active 10 app to record every minute of walking you do (anonymously).